Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Honduras: Day 1 & 2

So, my journey has begun....I have reduced my life to two packpacks--my big one, which weighed in at 32 pounds, and a small overnight/weekend bag.

I arrived in San Pedro Sula, Honduras at a little after 11:30 on Tuesday, after a sleepless night of red eye flights and a lay over. As I was flying into San Pedro Sula the landscape was like nothing I had ever seen, or ever expected. First, the ocean a mixture of beautiful blues, and the land was the most beautiful colors of green i have ever seen. In the US, almost anywhere you fly, you can clearly see the 1 by 1 mile grid system. Here, there was no grid, and only a few small roads here and there, but the land is instead occupied by lush green plants--what I saw from the plane were likely tabacco and bananna plantations. I also didn't realize it, but Honduras is quite mountainous.

As we landed at the airport, which is near the outside of the city, I giggled to myself when I saw the airport. San Pedro Sula is the second largest country in Honduras, yet the International Airport had only 3 (maybe 4) gates. I was surprised when I didn't deboard the plane down steps.

As soon as I arrived, Erin and I got a cab to the bus station, and immedietly hopped on a bus to La Ceiba, which is on the coast. The trip to the coast was like no bus ride I have ever had. I don't think if there are any official traffic laws in Honduras, but it seems that the biggest vehicle make the rules, and if you are on a hill or corner, it's okay to pass, as long as you first honk your horn, and if you encounter an oncoming vehicle, they just move to the side. Erin explained this to me as the "third lane" where basically traffic just parts ways for you. We passed through several small towns, and many of the houses had small markets in their front rooms, or were selling food or fruit in front. Also, from time to time, the bus would stop, and people would get on the bus and try to sell fruit. We bought sliced mango, which was delicious. Upon arrival in La Ceiba, we got a taxi to the hotel. Stop signs seem to merely be suggestions, and Honduran drivers are truely the definition of "defensive driving."

 We stayed in a hotel, with a private room, for L350 (about $17), which was "a little more expensive" but still does not have hot water. This is where I learned my first lesson in Honduras: don't flush toilet paper. Luckily, Erin warned me of this, otherwise you can potentially clog the sewer system of the entire city. I have to consciously think about this each time I use the restroom, but it does make the "courtosey flush" quite natural. I have many lessons to come. Also, I am so thankful for Erin, as she knows Spanish, and is my interpretor for now...this gives me a new appreciation for those who come to the US and don't know English; I really do feel completely lost most of the time.

I have also had the one meal that Hondurans are known for: Baleadas. It's basically a home made tortilla, filled with anything you would like, including refried black beans and the saltiest cheese I have ever had. So far, I have had this three times, and am trying not to eat them too much because I think they will likely be a food staple during my stay here. This morning we left early and took the bumpiest ferry ride I have ever taken to Utila, which is one the of Bay Islands off of Honduras. We are staying at a great little Inn, the Mango Inn, which is associated with the dive shop that we are taking our scuba class through (the Utila Dive Center). We got upgraded from a dorm room to a private room for a good price, plus it has A/C! The water here is so warm and clear, and the dive shop has a fantastic dock to lay out on, and also has a bar on the dock...it really is like paradise. We start our scuba classes tomorrow, and I cannot wait to get under that water!

I apologize for the lenghthyness of this blog, and will try to refrain from this in the future...also, on one of my next blogs I will write out my goals for the next 9 months of my life (Goal #1: learn spanish!!), and i'll add picutres when I can..but for now, I'll just stay lost in the language and lounge...

11 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! Proud of you two, best way to learn a language is immersion, sounds like your well under way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This sounds like the experience of a lifetime. I can't wait to read more!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I'm not going to lie, I am a little bit jealous!! We have a map of Honduras on our wall with an airplane (which I drew) landing in San Pedro Sula, a yellow bus(which I drew) on it's way to La Ceiba and a little sail boat (which I drew) on it's way to Utila. Just missing the dock....Can't wait to read more! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo exciting. Jane shared the map with me on Skype this morning, it was almost like being there..she should have drawn more waves on the way to Utila though. I am so happy your adventure has started, it sounds so fun and we will not complain about lengthiness of the blog posts we will read it with much excitment!!! LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun Jill, so glad you are doing this blog, I agree with Jane, just a little jealous, although I can't imagine taking my kiddos anywhere farther than the farm right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill! Thanks for posting a blog! It was most fun to read so far! Enjoy that beautiful country and have so much fun learning espanol! Wish we could join you in paradise! xoxo -jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Jill for your very interesting blog. Please keep writing so we know what is happening to/with you. It makes you seem a little closer. Enjoy your journey and keep in touch. Love you, Granny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, I'm so excited for you! Keep up the blog and have tons of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoy si, Papa! I am so jealous. Honduras is the best, best, best. Eat lots of Baleadas, yuka y tajaditas! I Can't wait to read more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for all of the comments! I never expected such a following! I will try to update often...you know, when I am not soaking up the sun and playing under the water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you have a blast! It is so beautiful down there and so much culture in each new experience! Wear lots of sunscreen! :)

    ReplyDelete