Thursday, September 20, 2012

Honduras Day 3; Scuba Day 1


Today was my first day of real scuba training.  Erin and I had our first "confined water" dive for our scuba class. However, the water here is so clear and calm that the dive was actually in the ocean, albeit only about 6 feet deep....I think I also enjoyed the freshest sushi that mother earth has to offer; I took in plenty of salt water, and there were some fish small enough, i'm fairly certain that some of them made their way into my gullet, poor little guys! When the instructor first told us to start going under, I went down really quickly, the panic set in, and I decided right then and there that scuba was not for me, and Erin would be doing this scuba adventure on her own...breathing underwater in NOT a natural sensation.  However, after coming out of the water, pulling myself together and giving myself a mental pep talk, I was ready to give it another go.  This time, I descended much less quickly, and realized that this phenomenon is actually possible!  Tomorrow we get to dive a bit deeper (6-10 feet) then Saturday we get to do our first real dives!

Also, I have been informed by Erin that I am having an extremely cushy immersion into Honduras, and that Utila is really nothing like most of Honduras, and that there is "so much wealth here." To put this into perspective, we think that we are paying a lot if we pay more than L25 ($1)  for a rum and coke, and more than L100 ($5) for both of us to eat lunch...our rule is that if it is more than L100, it is too expensive!

The best baleada of the trip thus far was eaten today...it had chicken, avocado, tomato, cheese, and some other deliciousness...tomorrow, i will try the pulled pork...oh, and it is mandatory that I drink a real coke or pepsi out of a glass bottle, with a straw, at least 1-2 times per day...my sodium and cholesterol are going to be out the roof when i get home, but it is truly impossible to resist!

oh! and we found a real coffee shop today! I am not yet ready to give up my Pacific North West coffee, so I am ecstatic that we found this place!  I went there twice today..including my morning coffee that was enjoyed with a homemade cinnamon roll, fresh out of the oven, from a little bakery on the walk to scuba class....my life is really too rough right now!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so cool. I actually did look at tickets to Belize.....I am really missing already not being able to pick up the phone and just talk to you!! Keep the blogs coming sis and no more sushi, sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the food sounds amazing. The best part of the adventure is trying the countries food! And those little countries do know how to make really yummie pastries! And coke and pepsi out of glass bottles?? and a straw?? how fun is that. You are having an amazing time, i was so excited to see ANOTHER post!!!
    Keep having fun!!! Tomorrow Weston & Maria are running in the wee pals 5K with me on their bikes!!!! it will be like a rodeo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post jill! i wish i could experience the water there! tell erin hello from us and give her a big hug and kiss! dad came over for lunch yesterday and we were discussing the previous post; he got a real kick out of you not being able to flush toilet paper! miss you! xoxo -jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill....keep the posts coming, they are so interesting. I love the way you express yourself. The food sounds delicious, of course any kind of food always sounds delicious to me! I'm sure my over-active taste buds would have a fun time in Honduras. Please don't drown. Love you, Granny

    ReplyDelete