Sunday, December 16, 2012

Copan Ruinas

So, I really suck at blogging, as I'm sure all of my loyal followers have noticed...but i've been on vacation, and one finds it difficult to balance blogging, beverages, and laying in hammocks in the sun..i'm sure you will forgive me....

In the mean time, while you process your feelings of forgiveness, I will take a little time to fill you in on my life over the past couple of weeks...

After a lovely few days at the brewery in Honduras, Erin and I caught a bus to San Pedro Sula, where we picked up her parents and their friend, Molly. After meeting them at the airport, we took the fancy bus to Copan Ruinas.  Oh, and by "fancy bus" I mean A/C, a snack of chips and a soda, and a toilet (only meant for #1)....Upon arrival in Copan Ruinas, we took a Tuk Tuk to our lovely apartment for the next 4 days...if you are not traveling on too tight a budget, and have a few people to stay with, I would highly recommend staying at La Casa de Cafe...it was a wonderful place to stay, had a fantastic kitchen and porch, and the breakfast each day came with possibly some of the best fresh fruit I have ever had...it was truly delightful, and I was sad to leave.

While in Copan Ruinas (this was my 2nd time there, if you recall), my love for the little town was renewed. It has cobblestone streets, great places to eat, and a variety of tiendas for all of your shopping needs...this is definitely a town I could spend a significant amount of time in.

While in Copan, we also visited the Ruinas, which really were quite impressive. We had a tour guide who gave us an extra long tour, and was quite knowledgeable about the ruins and the Maya culture...at the beginning of the tour, he informed us that he speaks the Maya language, his parents were Chorti (the indigenous people of that area of Honduras), and that people often like to take photos of him because he looks so much like the native Mayans...I think he just likes to have his picture taken...but, enough about the history, let's get to the photos:

our fearless guide, "Lord Friendly Bat" (i wish you could see his epic outtie belly button..it was really distracting)


the main site of the ruins..it really is quite amazing

A statue dedicated to one of the Mayan Kings

Que Pensive!

Pensive again..but without whispey hair...aka, I grew bored of Lord Friendly Bat's tour

One of the Mayan Statues, also dedicated to one of the Kings

Also, Senor Lord Friendly Bat (pronounced with a Honduran accent as "Lord Friendly Butt") informed us that the world was not in fact ending on 12-12-12, but that this was merely a new circle of time that would begin...I guess I will have to stop charging everything to my credit card and stop living lavishly...apparently i'm gonna have to pay it back now..I was really banking on the world ending...

Also, while in Copan we ate at a fantastic Comedor, where a Honduran woman made us fried tacos and baleadas right out of her kitchen...to date, this is one of my favorite meals in Honduras...

I really did do vacation while in Honduras, like seriously...I slept, read, ate, and did happy hour..and it was delightful!

1 comment:

  1. Did you dive?? or was this a pigment of my imagination? those were really the pictures I was hoping to see! I am terribly dissapointed in this Honduras Ruination thing, this it is not what i was looking for.
    Saddened blog follower

    ReplyDelete