Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pico Bonito

After spending 5 days in Copan Ruinas, we spent a day on the bus and traveled to La Ceiba, which is on the coast.  From there, we went to a beautiful national park called Pico Bonito, about 20 or 30 minutes outside of the city.  We got picked up in a truck that had enough room for only 3-4 passengers...Erin and I had to ride in the back of the truck, which I love, but we look ridiculous I am sure, and I think Erin's parents probably peed in their pants at least twice during the drive..but really, in Honduras on most roads, riding in back of the truck is a way more comfortable ride than bouncing around in the back seat.

We arrived at our little house among fancy villas late in the evening..this house was much different than the one we stayed in while in Copan...it was small and stuffy, but we survived...my favorite part, however, was when Molly was practicing her Spanish, and was telling us about her yellow towel, only then to notice the pieces of rat poop on the towel...not a strong start to the visit, but it went up hill from there...

Unfortunately the weather wasn't fantastic..aka, lots of cloud and rain, but this did not stop us from spending the day lounging around the infinity pool and enjoying the beautiful scenery...from the view of our loung chairs we could see an amazing waterfall in the middle of the mountain, and on several occasions we saw a pair of wild tucans flying from tree to tree.

Lucy, our watch dog--she is quite vicious!

The beautiful infinity pool looking into the river
me, enjoying the infinity pool...in the rain! actually, I was trying to kill my bug bites


TURTLES!!

the waterfall

oh! my pretty toes!


Had the weather been better we would have hiked to the waterfall...apparently in good weather you often see monkeys and other wild birds, such as parrots and the like...I think we will try to visit this place again after the rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment