Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vacation

I am currently on vacation..and I mean, I am REALLY vacationing...as in it takes a lot of work and energy to even get a blog posted...

Last week Erin and I kicked off our vacation by spending 4 nights at D&D Brewery, which is located near Lago de Yajoa, a really big lake in Honduras.  It was a super relaxing beginning to vacation. It was rainy and cold, so we mostly drank good beer, bailey's and hot cocoa, and relaxed and read our books.  This is one of only 2 breweries in Honduras, and it was delightful to have enjoy a few tasty microbrews.

On the first day, Erin and I went and walked around a coffee plantation.  The coffee plants weren't overly impressive, but the rest of the property was beautiful.  I'm not sure where the pictures are from the right now....sorry.

The second day (and only sunny day) we went to a really amazing waterfall. You can pay a guide to take you behind the waterfall, but it wasn't quite warm enough for that. I have talked to people who have done this before, and they said that it was amazing, but incredibly scary, and would be illegal to do in the US..I think I'll do it when it is warmer outside...

the view from above the waterfall
it really was spectacular...one of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen.
absolutely incredible
even dancing glove enjoyed the view...
On our last day, we decided that it would be cute and quaint to row around the lake and find a nice place to row up to to eat dinner. So, we set out to find out to rent our paddles....

confidence was not instilled when this is where we picked up our paddles....
and then we walked to the canal to pick out a boat...

we were told boat number 11 was underwater...as were boats 2-9,
and 12-18
luckily boat number 19 was NOT underwater
So we started out paddling...

and by "we" I mean Erin...she claimed to be experienced in boating..so she rowed first
 So we began rowing...and then realized we did not actually know which way the was, as we were merely in the canal...luckily a helpful Honduran came speeding by in his row-boat and confirmed we were indeed going the right direction (after we had already turned back once)...

and then the boat began taking on water....
So Erin decided that the solution was to paddle very fast, and very intensely

Erin channeling her inner Tanya...and a new workout series was created, called "intensity"
And so we went about our way down the canal for a few more yards, and it was decided that I should give it a try...

I successfully turned us in the opposite direction we wanted to go,
and paddled us directly into the shore...
 And then a light rain began....

and I decided that more progress could be made paddling as if the boat were a canoe...this was decidedly the best technique 
and then we gave up and went out for pizza and beer, and then went and got mani/pedis with a bottle of wine instead...

Sometimes, vacation is hard work....

2 comments:

  1. this is def one of the more entertaining posts,one might investigate the boats of rental places BEFORE renting said boat.
    The pictures and captions were perfect!
    still tickles my funny bone. I do wish youd have rented life jackets......hmmmm ;-)
    thanks for keeping us involved! oh yes, Dad inspected the wheel, and re-inspected said it looked as if it were held together by rust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures tickled my funny bone too! I hope your boat didn't take on too much water. Have you tried fishing yet? What beautiful country - I loved the water falls. Also, thanks for the post card, it was a nice surprise to get one from you. If you send one again could you mark "You are here" so I really know where you are. I love your blog and don't let it be too much work as it is very entertaining and I know how you are doing at the same time. Thanks for keeping us informed. When does your vacation end? Are the school kids taking a vacation too? Love you, Granny

    ReplyDelete